“Very Interactive and exactly what we needed. Fab thanks” … Julie, Assistant Headteacher, Stanwell Fields School.
Who is this qualification for?
This course is regulated and is for people who are or wish to become paediatric first aiders in the workplace, responsible for the well being of infants and young children. The course meets all of the first aid requirements outlined in the Early Years Foundation Stage and Ofsted.
To be eligible, students must be over 16 years of age and able to carry out the practical elements detailed in the course outline. The qualification is assessed throughout, during practical application of skills and by means of questioning. Students must attend both days in full.
Class Size – up to 12 students
Course Duration – 2 days (6 hours contact time each day)
Students will be able to:
- Explain the role and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider.
- Identify accident reporting requirements.
- Conduct a primary survey on an infant and a child.
- Place an infant AND a child in the recovery position.
- Assist an infant and a child experiencing a seizure.
- Administer CPR to an unresponsive infant AND a child who is not breathing normally.
- Use a defibrillator safely and effectively.
- Administer first aid to an infant AND a child who is choking.
- Render first aid to an infant AND a child who is bleeding externally.
- Provide first aid to an infant AND a child who is suffering from shock.
- Detail first aid treatment for a range of minor injuries including bites and stings.
- Recognise and administer first aid for fractures and soft tissue injuries.
- Identify and administer first aid to infants and children with head, neck and spinal injuries.
- Explain the first aid treatment required for an infant or a child with conditions affecting the eyes, ears and nose
- Administer emergency first aid to an infant or a child with an acute medical condition or sudden illness e.g. severe allergic reaction, asthma and diabetes.
- Administer first aid to an infant or child affected by extreme heat or cold.
- Explain the first aid required for dealing with electric shocks.
- Describe the first aid required for burns and scalds.
- Explain how to administer first aid for sudden poisoning.
- Identify and administer first aid in cases of anaphylaxsis (includes auto-injector)