Who is this qualification for?
This course is regulated by Qualsafe Awards and is for people who are or wish to become Paediatric first aiders in the work place, responsible for the well being of infants and young children. The course also meets the first aid paediatric requirements outlined in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
Students must be over 16 years of age and be able to carry out the practical elements detailed in the course outline. The qualification is assessed throughout during practical application of the skills and by means of questioning. Students must attend the full day.
Class Size – up to 12 students
Course Duration – 2 days (8 hours each day – minimum 6 hours contact time each day)
Students will be able to:
- Explain the role and responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
- Identify accident reporting requirements
- Conduct a primary survey on an infant and a child
- Place an infant AND a child in the recovery position
- Assist an infant and a child experiencing a seizure
- Administer CPR to an unresponsive infant AND a child who is not breathing normally
- Use a defibrillator on a child over 12 months old
- Administer first aid to an infant AND a child who is choking
- Render first aid to an infant AND a child who is bleeding externally
- Provide first aid to an infant AND a child who is suffering from shock
- Detail the first aid required for an infant AND a child with bites, stings and minor injuries.
- Recognise and treat a fractured bone to and infant AND a child
- Identify and administer first aid to an infant AND a child with a head, neck or back injury
- Explain the first aid treatment required for an infant AND a child with conditions effecting the eyes, ears and nose
- Administer emergency first aid to an infant AND a child with an acute medical condition or sudden illness eg. severe allergic reaction, asthma attack and diabetes
- Administer first aid to an infant AND child affected by extreme heat or cold
- Explain the first aid required for dealing with electric shocks
- Describe the first aid required for burns and scalds
- Explain how to administer first aid for sudden poisoning
- Identify and administer first aid in cases of anaphylaxsis